St. Johns Country Day School Student Athlete’s Code
Given our belief that high school athletics provides aunique opportunity for the development of physical conditioning, athletic skill, and character traits, we expect every St. Johns student athlete to strive for the following:
- Develop the skills necessary to participate competently in the game.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rules and conventions of the game.
- Demonstrate a level of physical conditioning and fitness sufficient to participate.
- Demonstrate knowledge of healthy behaviors including nutritional issues.
- Reinforce our alcohol, tobacco and other drug-free policies by refraining from using any such substances.
- Be dependable in fulfilling obligations and commitments. Accept responsibility for consequences of actions, to not make excuses or blame others. Strive to excel.
- Give 100% effort and not give up in the face of set backs.
- Demonstrate truthfulness and play by the rules of the game.
- Control anger and frustration and refrain from displays of temper and bad language.
- Accept losing and winning graciously
- Be faithful to the ideals of the game, including sportsmanship.
- Show team spirit, encourage others and contribute to good morale.
- Set a good example for teammates, younger athletes, fans, and school community.
St. Johns Country Day School Coaches Code
The Athletic Director, Trainers and Coaches are leaders, dedicated to far more than competition. As professional educators, leaders and role models for students we will:
- Exemplify the highest character as a role model for young people.
- Recognize the individual worth and reinforce the self-image of each team member.
- Encourage and assist individuals to set personal goals to achieve their highest academic potential.
- Strive to develop the qualities of competence, character, civility and citizenship in each individual.
- Provide a safe, challenging and encouraging environment for training and competition.
- Gain an awareness of the importance of prevention, care, and treatment of athletic injuries.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the game officials. Teach and abide by the rules of the game in letter and in spirit.
- Build and maintain ethical relationships with coaches and administrators.
- Strive for excellence in coaching skills and techniques through professional improvement.
- Promote personal fitness and good nutrition.
- Be modest in victory and graciousin defeat.
St. Johns Parent’s Code
Parents play a vital role in the development of student athletes and the success of the sports program. Therefore, we expect parents to commit to the following:
- Be a positive role model through their own actions.
- Show respect for the opposing players, coaches, spectators and support groups.
- Be respectful of all officials’ decisions.
- Praise student-athletes in their attempt to improve themselves as students, as athletes and as people.
- Gain an understanding and appreciation for the rules of the contest.
- Recognize and show appreciation for an outstanding play by either team.
- Help their child learn that success is experienced in the development of their skills, win or lose.
- Take time to talk with coaches in an appropriate manner, including proper time and place.
- Remember that a ticket to a school athletic event is a privilege to observe the contest.