Good afternoon! We hope you had a fabulous Fourth of July! Here are this week's news and announcements from St. Johns Country Day School:
Welcome, Mr. Magidson
In case you missed it, last week Head of School Valorie Baker announced the start of St. Johns' new Head of Middle School, Mr. Ben Magidson. You can read all about it right here.
Summer reading and math assignments have been posted on each division's My School App Topics page. Note that work is assigned according to the course the student will be entering next year, and all assignments are due on the first day of class unless otherwise noted.
Join Coach Rocky for Summer Football Workouts
Join Spartan Football Coach Rocky Bantag for summer football conditioning at St. Johns! Workouts take place Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, as follows:
- Mondays: 3:00 p.m. - 4:20 p.m. in the weight room, and then 4:30 p.m. -5:30 p.m. on the field for conditioning and drills.
- Wednesdays and Fridays: 2:30 p.m. - 3:50 p.m. in the weight room, and then 4:00 p.m. 5:00 p.m. on the field for conditioning and drills
Conditioning workouts are open to all St. Johns students in Grades 6-12. Conditioning workouts will take a break for the holiday weekend July 1 and 4. Happy 4th!
Summer Throwing Practice
Join Assistant Track & Field Coach Emily Patterson '16 for Summer Throwing—shot put, discus, and javelin. Get some practice or learn an exciting new skill! All ages and skill levels are welcome. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., through July 29. (Photo by George Auchter '24)
Summer is upon us, and as we get ready for the next School year, many of us are looking ahead to new technology for our students, particularly if they're going into Middle or Upper School. Beginning this coming year, all Middle and Upper School students are required to bring to School each day a fully charged laptop. You can get all the details on either the Middle or Upper School "Technology" page in My School App, including the laptop requirements, and don't miss the link to access special St. Johns family pricing in our exclusive online Apple Store.
It feels like the summer only just started, but we know some families are planning ahead to the 2022-2023 school year. Here are a few dates and pieces of key info to get you started:
- Magnus Health. If you haven't already done so, please log into Magnus Health via My School App or the Magnus Mobile app (from the Apple Store or Google Play) to review and update your student's health information and upload updated forms. Having trouble? Please call the Magnus Help line at (877) 461-6831. If you have any questions, please reach out to School Nurse Michele Adams-Lentz '89, RN, MSN, ARNP.
- Schedules. Middle and Upper School Schedules for the 2022-2023 school year will be available in My School App on Monday, July 18. Lower School schedules will be available on the First Day of School.
- Books. Some Middle and Upper School courses require students to provide hard copy books. St. Johns' online bookstore, operated by MBS, will be open July 18-24 with free shipping on orders over $99. The MBS store makes it fast and easy to order all the right versions of the right books for your child's classes. Just select the courses your child is taking, and all of the assigned books for those classes will be automatically dropped into your cart—no worrying about versions, ISBNs, or that you've forgotten one. Lower School students do not need to purchase any supplemental texts. All materials are provided.
- Supplies. Supply lists for Middle School students will be available in My School App on July 18. Upper School students are not issued lists of required supplies, and are asked to provide an ongoing supply throughout the year of whatever they might need (paper, pens, notebooks, etc.), depending on their course requirements. Teachers will let them know during the first week of school if any particular supplies will be required for their class. For Lower School students, all necessary supplies will be provided.
- Orientation Day, Friday, August 5. Once you have ordered your books and supplies, your students are ready to stash them in their lockers on Orientation Day, Friday, August 5. Plan to come find classrooms, meet teachers, and set up lockers or cubbies. Stay tuned for more information on the Orientation Day schedule.
- First Day of School, Tuesday, August 9. We can't wait to see you!
- Open House. Be sure to mark your calendars now for Lower School Open House on Tuesday, August 23, from 7:00-8:00 p.m., and for Middle/Upper School Open House on Wednesday, August 24, at the same time.
- Questions? Have another question or think of something we forgot to mention here? Please reach out to your child's classroom teacher (in Lower School) or Division Assistant (Kim Kurnitsky in Middle School or Dana Goode in Upper School).
Some summer camps still have space available for sessions next month, including some Adventure Camps and our regular day camp sessions. Day Camp includes a variety of activities to keep your camper busy with their friends this summer, including swimming, crafts, outdoor games, and even air conditioned computer time for when the day just gets too hot. You can also sign up for our half-day Adventure Camps and "wraparound" day camp for a longer and more diverse experience, and extended day care is available from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Check availability and sign up today at sjcds.net/summer!
New Uniforms Available
St. Johns' new uniform vendor, Custom Shirts & Uniforms, has a convenient website as well as a storefront on Kingsley Avenue. St. Johns' goal is to provide a uniform that is universal in fit, cost-effective, and presents our students as a united St. Johns. Just a reminder that as we transition, uniform attire from Lands End School will continue to be acceptable through the 2023-2024 School year. Questions? Please reach out to Auxiliary Programs Coordinator Sherry Burnside at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We know it's summer, but the work goes on to bring you the best experience and education in Northeast Florida. Though with a nod to summer, we are shortening summer hours. School will be open and Administrative staff will be here 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. If you need anything over the summer, please to reach out to:
|Head of School Valorie Bakeremail@example.com|
|Head of Upper School Jackie Lentinifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Head of Middle School Ben Magidsonemail@example.com|
|Head of Lower School Otis Wirthfirstname.lastname@example.org|
We hope you have a great week!